Whether or not a woman can consume caffeine while breastfeeding has been debated for quite some time now. Fortunately, it has been simplified and comes down to one basic detail-watch your baby for cues and adjust from there.
What are the ‘cues’ to be looking for?
- Is your baby restless and/or not sleeping as well?
- Does your baby experience any tummy issues?
- Is your baby unusually fussy for some other reason than those listed above?
Some things to keep in mind when ingesting caffeine while breastfeeding:
- Naturally, the age of your baby can play a role in the side effects
- Younger infants may show greater sensitivity than a toddler
- Caffeine will peak 1-2 hours after ingestion
- If you are concerned about any side effects, time your intake accordingly
- Remember, caffeine is not only found in your morning coffee!
- Caffeine is found in coffee, teas, sodas, energy drinks, and some foods.